This article will walk you through everything you need to do to sign up and get ready for your exam.
NOTE: Your institution may be integrated with our platform in a way that would change the process outlined below. If this is the case, instructions for creating accounts are usually sent directly from your institution.
Things to Know Before Getting Started
ProctorU has several service lines that your institution, organization or instructor can choose from. The main difference for test-takers is whether or not a live human proctor takes you through the exam launch process.
Whether or not you’re greeted by a live proctor to launch your exam dictates the following
- How and when you can schedule your exam
- The steps you’ll take in the exam launch process
- What software you’ll be prompted to install
If you don’t know what service your exam will be using, don’t worry - the system will walk you through everything you need to do in an easy step-by-step process. And we’ll walk you through the differences below where applicable. If you do know which service you’ll be using, we also have test-taker resource centers for the live proctor experience and the automated proctor experience which outline much of the information you’ll read below.
If you are using the Guardian Browser, please click HERE to be re-directed to the proper article.
Unsure if you are a Guardian Test Taker? Click HERE to learn more.
Getting Started: Steps to Take Before Exam Day
- Sign Up: Create a test-taker ProctorU account here.
- Pick Your Browser: Download either Chrome or Firefox and make sure you’re using the latest version.
- Download the ProctorU Extension: Select the one for your chosen browser: Chrome or Firefox.
- Scheduling: If you will have a live human proctored launch, you’ll need to schedule your exam. If your launch will be automated, you do not need to schedule an appointment and may take your exam at any time through your learning management system (such as Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, etc.) or your test delivery platform.
- Check Your Equipment: Test your equipment to make sure your system is compatible with ProctorU. Click here to see a full list of requirements.
- Find an acceptable space to take your exam: The environment needs to be quiet, well- lit, and away from other people. The workspace area needs to be free of any materials not allowed on the exam. It’s required to use a hard surface for a workspace rather than a bed or couch.
- Become familiar with materials allowed/needed for your exam: You can review a full list here outlining what ProctorU requires as well as a note about resources permitted by your instructor or exam facilitator.
- Coordinate accommodations with your instructor or exam facilitator: If you require any special accommodations such as additional time, additional breaks, etc., you’ll need to follow these guidelines prior to your exam day.
Preparing for your Session
- Remove all unpermitted resources. Your work area should be cleared off and non-affixed items should be removed before connecting to your proctor. For more information on testing areas navigate to Unpermitted Testing Locations.
- Have your permitted resources within arm’s reach.
- If using a laptop, make sure the charger is plugged in.
- Take a washroom break before the exam if needed. Many testing organizations do not allow breaks during the exam.
In-Exam Interruptions (Live+):
While ProctorU strives to minimize interruptions during the exam, our proctors may need to intervene during testing. Reasons for interruptions include but are not limited to:
- Technical issues such as connection or video feed loss
- Speaking/reading out loud
- Out of proper camera angle
- Another person enters your testing area
- Additional camera pan
- Suspected academic integrity breach
Article is closed for comments.